-->

Sunday, July 27, 2008

back from the lakes part 2

Tuesday: On Tuesday we woke up around 10am and prepared for a day out walking.  We left around 11am and went on an 8 mile, 4 hour, walk around the countryside, mainly in the valleys between and around the peaks.

We started out walking down the road from the cottage to connect with a walk from SJ's Dad's Lake District Walks book.

Map pages; we started out in the top right hand block in Chapel Stile and followed the path all the way until point 'F' where we veered to cut through Elterwater and back to Chapel Stile.

Walking down the road.

A bit down the road I realized that I didn't have my glasses, and since I actually wanted to see what was around us on the walk, I went back to get them.  On my way back I passed a local butcher cutting and weighing meats in the back of his van.  It looked like he just pulled up to homes that had asked for a delivery that week and cut the right amount right there and delivered it!

Wild raspberries on the side of the road that we picked and ate.

Walking on a path past farms and toward the mountains.

Cutting through a field where sheep were grazing.

More sheep higher up in the mountains.

Sheep looking at me eagerly from inside a barn.  I could hear the shears that the farmer was using.  I don't think they wanted to loose their wool.

Farmhouse and mountains.

View of the mountains and lake.  The clouds were looming in the distance, but we didn't get any rain.

When we got to Elterwater we followed a footpath to cut through the quarry that we saw the day before and made our way back to Chapel Stile to enjoy some cool drinks and dinner.

Part 3 coming tomorrow...

No comments:

Total Pageviews