-->

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Arts & Crafts

Yesterday I went to Liberty's annual Arts and Crafts (1850-1950) selling.

(warning: lots of pictures below!)


The exhibit was beautiful as usual, with lots of Arts & Crafts patterns, carved wooden furniture, woven rugs, tiles, prints, etc.

Art Nouveauish Spring print

I really like the 'T' embroidery in the center, it reminds me of some tile patterns from that era.

Very cool clock

I think their rugs were my favorite part.

And the detailing.

This William Morris couch was great, made from a mahogany frame with William Morris bird fabric, c1890. (POA)

Arts & Crafts reclining chair in mahogany upholstered in linen, c1905 (£2200)

Copper mirror frame.

Close-up of the bird fabric

They had one of these couches last year, where the arms can fold down. I really like the simple form of the piece.



Works of Shakespeare

The inlay on this desk was beautiful

I love this carpet

They didn't have many tiles this year, but they did have this beautiful Pilkington set.  If I could find this at a better price (not £1250) one day I will be the happiest girl anywhere.


During the Arts & Crafts period the print ads they used for the Tube and Trains were really artistic.  I took a bunch of photos at the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden of the old posters.  This one at Liberty was an advert for Oxford.

I hope no one would cover this with a cushion.

I loved the upholstery fabric on this chair, and the intricate carving on that side table.

Beautiful chaise

I mainly liked the carving on this wardrobe.


Great prints

This couch looked very comfy.  I like the natural linen cushions and the acorn carvings.

Overall, always a rewarding trip!

1 comment:

cj said...

I love the fabric with the flying goose

Total Pageviews