-->

Friday, March 25, 2011

paper or plastic?


As a new-home present my lovely grandmother gifted us with a Kindle, under the strict instruction that if she gave us a Kindle we must subscribe to the NYTimes on it. I was skeptical about the Kindle, but who can refuse a gift? And my grandmother was excited she could do this for us.

I was still unconvinced about reading from a thin bit of plastic, as I'm a big fan of real books. I love rifling the pages, taking one down from a shelf and turning to a favorite paragraph, even smelling the books (seriously, book smell is one of the best). But on the day that it arrived, I did get a feeling of excitement, it appealed to my techie side, a new gadget to understand and play with!

And I am ashamed to admit.... I kind of like it....

Don't get me wrong, I have not forsaken the book, not in the least, but I do like reading the newspaper on it. It frees you from the guilt of recycling all those unread pages, or having a stack in the corner. And it's very easy to use when reading newspapers. As for books, I have not purchased any on it, but I have stocked up on a plethora of old classics, which are free from copyrights. At the moment it is Sherlock Holmes.

Again, I'm not convinced of reading whole books on it, I cannot forsake paper pages, and it is not the same to electronically mark a sentence as it is to dog-ear a page.

And it does not have that smell.

No comments:

Total Pageviews