-->

Thursday, June 12, 2008

tribes


"She began now to comprehend that he was exactly the man who, in disposition and talents, would most suit her. His understanding and temper, though unlike her own, would have answered all her wishes. It was an union that must have been to the advantage of both; by her ease and liveliness, his mind might have been softened, his manners improved, and from his judgment, information, and knowledge of the world, she must have received benefit of greater importance."

I love Jane Austen and all things derivative of her. Her language and stories are enchanting and feel tied to reality. Mr. Darcy is by far the most attractive male love interest of all time. The perfect combination of aloofness, character, honesty, and affection. Colonel Brandon... Captain Wentworth... even Wickham and Willoughby are interesting characters. Her female heroines are also strong, but have their moments of weakness when it comes to the opposite sex (which I think we can all understand), but Elizabeth Bennett will always be my favorite :)

I also envy the clothing style of the early 1800s. The empire waists and gauzy fabrics. Women always looked feminine yet educated, sexy yet demure.

I think that the ultimate reason why I identify with the women in Jane Austen is that like all of her heroines, I am a family and friends person, which makes it very hard for me to be far away from everyone at home. I am lucky because they do try and visit and I have had many visitors in the past month. Another friend from home, Sara, is also doing a law internship over here for the next few weeks, so now I will have her company (for a short time at least :) ). But I am lucky even moreso because I have found my place and my new family over here in Chloe and David. The other day when they were driving me back to my flat we all got into a silly disagreement about how much a customer should be charged for some extra work that we did and it really felt like we were having a stupid family squabble. It was wonderful. When I was sick the past couple of weeks Chloe kept trying to find ways to make me well, mainly through making me ginger tea, rose tea, real fruit drinks, etc.

All of which adds up to me feeling like we all care about each other as if we are all related. It reminds me of a quote that says you can't choose your family. You take what the fates hand you. And like them or not, love them or not, understand them or not, you cope. Then there's the school of thought that says the family you're born into is simply a starting point. They feed you, and clothe you, and take care of you, until you're ready to go out into the world and find your tribe.



I've found my tribe


Books
Sense and Sensibility (1811) (read)
Pride and Prejudice (1813) (read)
Mansfield Park (1814) (to read)
Emma (1815) (read)
Northanger Abbey (1817, posthumous) (to read)
Persuasion (1817, posthumous) (reading)

No comments:

Total Pageviews